Letter of Engagement ~ Scope of Services ~ Set Fees ~Set Disbursements ~ Manner of Communication ~ Retainer Agreement
Upon being retained, to avoid any misunderstanding in the client/paralegal relationship, Lisa Barder will confirm the terms of the engagement with the client in writing by way of an engagement letter and request that the client signs a retainer agreement. The language used in the Letter of Engagement and Retainer Agreement will be clear and will explain the terms of the professional engagement so that the client will understand the scope of the professional relationship
The Letter of Engagement will detail the legal services and set fees associated with commencing and completing the legal matter.
The content of the Retainer Agreement and the Letter of Engagement will vary depending on the client and the nature of the matter. The Letter of Engagement and the Retainer Agreement will detail the following;
Scope of Services
- the client’s goals and the specific legal services that the client will receive from Lisa Barder
- the key steps in the matter and the paralegal’s representation of the client
- any actions or next steps to be taken by the client (e.g. information or documents to be provided) or third parties (e.g. investigations or preparation of expert reports)
- the expected time required to complete the legal services and achieve the results
- any limits to the representation (e.g. when the engagement will end, tasks that cannot be performed under the law or goals that Lisa Barder cannot achieve for the client)
- the results that Lisa Barder is likely to achieve
Fees and Disbursements
- an estimate of the fees or disbursements that the client will likely incur and any assumptions upon which the estimate is based.
- The set fee associated with the each specified/itemized legal services.
- the amount and payment date of any initial money retainer or ongoing monetary retainers
- How often Lisa Barder will provide the client with interim bills, what they will include, and when the client can expect the final bill
- A term that the client is responsible for paying disbursements directly.
- the rate of interest that will be charged on outstanding accounts.
- consequences of the client’s failure to pay accounts in accordance with the terms of the Letter of Engagement.
- Landlord Paralegal’s billing policy
Communications With the Client
- the manner of communication between Lisa Barder and the client (e.g. telephone, email, mail, fax)
- how Lisa Barder will keep the client apprised of the matter on an ongoing basis (e.g. sending the client copies of correspondence, documents relating to the matter, memos to file; telephone calls; meetings)
- how the client will keep the Lisa Barder apprised of the matter on an ongoing basis
- the frequency of reporting to the client
- estimated time that it will normally take for Lisa Barder to respond to client calls, emails, letters or other communications
Withdrawal From Representation
- circumstances where Lisa Barder may withdraw from representation (e.g. client’s failure to pay retainers or accounts in accordance with the retainer agreement, any other circumstances contemplated by Paralegal Rules of Conduct
- consequences if Lisa Barder cannot obtain adequate instructions from the client to complete the tasks for which she was retained
- ownership of file contents
- charges for file transfer in the event that the file is transferred to the client or to another paralegal.
FOR A DETAILED LIST OF LANDLORD PARALEGAL SET FEES CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW;